Let there be (a little less) light!

I finally finished the curtains the M and C’s room.  Well, let me restate – the mostly-finished curtains that sat on my worktable for a good week or so have been hemmed and hung up.  Happy day!  If nearly completing a project within a mere few minutes of the finishing touches were a sport, I’d be a gold medalist.  Call it easily bored, maybe more accurately easily distracted.  I always have about three ongoing projects in the works because to sit and work on only one thing start to finish honestly makes my head hurt.  And because there’s always a story behind the project, the process with these lovelies made it even more conducive to putting them aside for awhile.

I bought this fabric before we left STL, knowing the wall color and general color scheme that I wanted to do in the girls’ new room.  At first I was questioning if the print was too girly but I think it’s just perfect for them having now seen the finished product.  I used this awesome Ana White tutorial for tab top curtains to get the pleated look when the curtains are opened.

Super easy, very intuitive and her website is pretty darn amazing too.  She makes me want to learn to use power tools… seriously.

Not wanting to have to piece together panels and preferring a not-so-full curtain anyway, I used the existing width for my panels and cut per the height measurement.  But lo and behold when I lined the partially finished panels side by side mid-project, I dropped an f-bomb (quietly) and instantly heard my mom’s voice in my head saying, “don’t forget to match up your prints”.  Crap.  Double crap.  I had cut the panels with the prints way off and it looked ridiculous.  So a-hacking-away I went.  I cut about seven inches off the top of one panel and the equal amount from the bottom of the other to get them to line up better.  Know where that left me?  Curtains that were too damn short.  At this point I took a break from them, started something else and thought long and hard about how to finish them up.  Thank goodness for a stash of red cotton – tabs added and a nice piece at the bottom to round out the hem.  I actually like them better this way.  Funny how that works out sometimes.

Advertisements

Puppet Show Shorts

We’ve had a bit of a toddler wardrobe crisis over the past month or so, for several reasons: a) my girls are growing like weeds – vertically, that is – suddenly in 3T sizes for length, but b) skinny as can be – still each under 30 pounds (thank goodness for hidden adjustable waists); and c) major climate change for us coming from the Midwest to SoCal and not much in the closet that is warm weather friendly.  So we’re working on a massive overhaul, all times two of course and batch-processing when possible.

I made a random purchase late the other night of the digital pattern for Oliver + S’s puppet show tunic, dress + shorts, and thought it appropriate to put the new seersucker from my stash to use, being Derby weekend and all.  I opted to exclude the pockets because I didn’t want a plain-jane woven cotton in an accent color to take away from the fabulous texture of the seersucker.  Next pair(s) – most definitely with pockets.  And there will be many more of these because I love, love, love how cute and EASY they are, not to mention a waistband method that I will be adapting into everything going forward.  There’s a lot to be said for good, solid instruction and construction methods, which has honestly pulled me away from many of the big name pattern makers and over to the independents.  I’ve learned more and much better quality construction from the small shops and bloggers.  Kicking the soapbox aside now…

Prepped and ready:

Finished products:

A small step forward in conquering the wardrobe issue, and much more in the works!

KCWC: Days 6-7

After all is said and done, my first attempt at KCWC didn’t quite go as I had wanted, but I still got more done in one week than I usually do.  Many things in the queue, new fabric and lots of ideas in bloom, and that to me is a success.

Days 6 & 7: LBB’s Sienna Dresses for each of the girls.  The knits on both of these were so thin I actually used my regular machine for most of the construction rather than my serger.  Thanks to a ballpoint needle and my awesome walking foot, my confidence (and patience) in non-serged knits is growing with each project.  I repurposed the necklines from some old rib knit t-shirts and the rest of the dresses were from my new knit stash.  Also working on little undershorts/diaper covers using the same repurposed knit for each.

KCWC: Day 5

Day 5: Nap time was virtually non-existent on Friday, so nothing sewn but several patterns downloaded, pieced and cut out – MADE’s Basic Kid Pants, the toddler swing tank from True Bias, Lil Blue Boo’s Sienna Dress and Made by Rae’s Flashback Skinny Tee.

I also ventured out with my fabric-loving parents in tow to M & L Fabrics Discount Store in Anaheim, which I happened upon awhile back via this helpful post by This Mama Makes Stuff.  The view upon entering is quite impressive:

The back room has an enormous selection of flat folds, including a wall of knits that was heavenly.

One side of the store also has a HUGE section of flat folds, mostly wovens but some also some home dec, all at around $3/yard.  And when I say $3/yard, I’m talking Michael Miller, Alexander Henry and the like all seriously discounted.

My mom and I both went a little nuts in this section and finally had to call it quits to allow enough time for cutting and to get back to pick up the girls from preschool.  My final haul: lots of woven cotton, a respectable stack of knits and a fun little Olivia panel (we’re just a bit Olivia-obsessed around here lately).