By late yesterday afternoon I had dubbed my KCW Day 3 “the day of spinning my wheels”. On my list to accomplish this week were some easy-breezy peasant tops for my girlies, in gingham. I’m a total sucker for a gingham, and I have a solid stack of gingham prints in various check-sizes and colors just waiting to be cut up and stitched into cute duds for my kiddos.
Since I didn’t have a peasant top pattern in my stash, I started with the Pierrot Tunic pattern from Made by Rae for the basic shape and made modifications to remove some volume from front, back and sleeves too. I also upped the size to a 4T since my girls’ 3T Pierrots are now fitting rather small, and I cropped the sleeve pattern to be a cap sleeve. I followed Rae’s neck facing/elastic casing instructions (which I adore) but I increased the length of elastic a bit for a wider finished neckline.
I was so happy with the result… and then I tried it on M, the slightly-thinner of my twins. And she was swimming in it, tugging at sleeves and side seams, with an overall “get this off of me” response. Crud! Thank goodness for my fabric hoarding tendencies, because I still had quite a bit of the gingham to give it another whirl.
For the second try I did some quick online research to understand what the bodice block for a true peasant top should look like, and thanks to these super-helpful tutorials here and here, and this tutorial & free pattern guide I quickly drafted a pattern and knocked out another top. Meet top #1’s little sister:
Much better fit width-wise but this time it was way too short! Double-crud! Mind you for as petite as my munchkins are, they are both long-waisted – C in particular – just like their mama, but this top still wouldn’t cover the waistband of a pair of pants worn with it. At this point in my day it was creeping toward the dinner hour and the natives were restless so I had to call it a day and toss the too-big top in the “will grow into” bin and the girls’ younger cousin will be getting the too-small version.
I will say though that as frustrating and without a final product as this day was I ended it knowing exactly how I need to modify my pattern for the perfect peasant top that I should be able to crank out quickly when the mood hits next. A step in the right direction for my pattern-drafting skills!
You win some, you lose some.